Sunday 3 January 2021

Indonesian Vocabulary: Present for the Missus

I watched a YouTube video containing spoken Indonesian in an effort to improve my listening ability. Below is the dialog relating to the purchase of a necklace together with my commentary.


Seorang laki-laki sedang mencari hadiah ulang tahun untuk istrinya di toko perhiasan. A man is looking for a birthday present for his wife in a jewelry shop.

I was unfamiliar with perhiasan meaning jewelery but also embellishment and adornment. However, the term toko perhiasan is reserved for a jewelry shop. Words related words to perhiasan are:
    • perhiasan emas --> gold jewelry
    • hias --> ornamental or decorative
    • hiasan --> decoration
    • hiasan dinding --> wall decoration
    • hiasan natal --> Christmas decoration
    • hiasan kepala --> head accessories
Kalung yang mana yang akan dibelinya? Which necklace will he buy? Literally, which necklace will be bought by him? 
 
I need to remember that yang mana means which one, something I knew but when listening it's easy to get confused. The word kalung meaning necklace I didn't know.

Ada yang bisa saya bantu? May I help you? Literally, is there anything I can help with? Saya sedang mencari hadiah ulang tahun untuk istri saya I'm looking for a birthday present for my wife. Apa saran kamu? What do you recommend. Literally, what (is) your suggestion? Nah, bagaimana dengan kalung ini? Well, what about this necklace?

It should be noted that here nah means well and not no as in English. Importantly, bagaimana dengan means what about which is a basic phrase to remember.

Hmm, kelihatannya terlalu panjang. Hmm, it looks a little too long. Bagaimana dengan ini? What about this? Kamu memiliki satu dengan liontin bunga dan satu lain dengan hati. We have one with a flower pendant and another one with a heart.

I wasn't aware that liontin meant pendant.

Saya mencari sesuatu yang lebih berkelas.  I'm looking for something a bit more sophisticated.

Whereas kelas just means class, berkelas means classy or sophisticated.

Berapa harga kalung mutiara itu? How much is that pearl necklace? Ini tigah jutah rupiah. It's three million rupiah. Hmmm, itu terlalu mahal. Hmmm, that's too expensive. Baiklah, saya akan ambil yang pertama. Okay, I'll take the first one. Boleh. Silahkan. Sure thing. Here you are.


Let's summarise the words and phrases to remember from what was said above:
  • toko perhiasan - jewelry shop
  • yang mana - which one
  • kalung - necklace
  • nah - well
  • bagaimana dengan - what about
  • liontin - pendant
  • berkelas - sophisticated

No comments:

Post a Comment