Monday 22 January 2024

Time for an Upgrade

It suddenly just came over me. I want a new computer to replace my aged 2013 Macbook Pro. True, it's had a new lease of life ever since I got the battery replaced in Australia last year and it's also true that I have a Raspberry Pi 400 that's connected to the TV. However, both have their limitations obviously and it would feel nice to not feel so limited for a while. Even if I don't make full use of my new device's capabilities, I have the option and, if I choose wisely, it will be future-proof - at least in terms of my limited future.

What caught my eye was the Minisforum UM780 with an AMD Ryzen CPU in a very small form factor. A reasonable option would be 32GB of DDR5 RAM and a 1 TB SSD. This configuration is more than adequate.


It's not available as yet but will be by the time my birthday comes around. The portability of such a device is very appealing and, while it can be plugged into a TV or monitor, I stumbled upon another option this evening: a portable 4K monitor with USB type-C input (which the Minisforum UM780 accepts).


This struck me as the perfect solution. The monitor can even power the computer if needed. I can still plug my device into a larger monitor if one comes my way but this portable monitor and portable PC seems ideal. No more worrying about laptop battery life, all that's needed is a power supply. Most of my time is spent at home anyway so a laptop is not really needed but I have the portability of a laptop with this monitor-PC combination. I'm excited! The monitor retails for Rp5.175.000 and will be available sometime in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment