Saturday 5 March 2022

Fan Problems in Ubuntu 20.04

One of the problems that I noted following installation of Ubuntu 20.04 on my 2013 Mac Book Pro was that the fan was running almost continuously, even if the workload was light. This was becoming quite annoying. Apparently other people have been having the same problem. For example, this Ubuntu user wrote to Ask Ubuntu in August of 2020:

I have a Lenovo Ideapad with Ubuntu 20.04 in it. 

Even when my computer is at idle and using less than 5% of processing power and less than 1 GB ram my computers fan makes loud noise and it runs every time .

My idle CPU temperature resides in the range of 40C to 45C which is medium hot. The weird thing is that the fan runs at really at high speed even when RAM being used is less than 1 GB and processing power being used is less than 5% and it is really annoying.

Hope i can get some help with this.

Fortunately, help was forthcoming:

Initially my fans were running a lot too. But installing TLP worked really well for me. Fans rarely spin now and the system stays cool. Just follow: sudo apt install tlp for Ubuntu. For other distributions and OS, follow Official TLP documentation.

The discussion continued:

TLP is to save battery not to correct fan speed which runs continuously on Ubuntu.

ACV on Nov 14, 2021 at 16:55

Actually don't you think it's kind of inter-related? TLP helps in killing/slowing-down those processes which are not being actively used by the system which ultimately decreases the load on the CPU and hence slows the fan down.

CapTen101 on Nov 14, 2021 at 17:31 

It happened every time when my notebook went to idle that the fan started to spin crazy. Even though I closed everything. For some reason TLP fixed the issue for me too. 

Zoltán Süle on Jan 20 at 15:53

That's exactly what I was talking about!

CapTen101 on Jan 21 at 9:44 

Figure 1 shows what the TLP website has this say once TLP has been installed.


Figure 1

Having done all this, I'm happy to report that the fan problem has diminished noticeably. Fingers crossed that this continues.  Even though problems like this are annoying, the good thing about Ubuntu is that there is plenty of online help available so that solutions can generally be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment