Wednesday 7 July 2010

Dead Flash Drive


Oh dear, my recently acquired 16Gb Kingston Traveller Flash Drive is no longer working. It's recognised by my computer but when I try to access it, I'm asked if I want to format it. Accepting that whatever I had on the disk would be erased, I choose the formatting option but the operation always fails. I decided to try a low level format and to that end downloaded a little utility program from the Internet at http://hddguru.com. No go. It would appear that the drive is irretrievably dead.

From this experience, I have learned a valuable lesson. It's silly to buy a larger and more expensive flash drive, as I did, only to see it die a couple of months later. I've now revived my older 4Gb Toshiba flash drive and will begin storing my portable applications on this. As far as possible, I'll use the Internet to store any files that I need to access or work on. I'll make regular copies of the contents of the drive so that it ever fails again I can quickly copy the contents to a new drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment