Wednesday 14 September 2016

Symbolab

I've just had a look at a website called Symbolab that offers a many tools for the mathematics student and even the chemistry student. I tested it out with the following rather difficult integral:
I was impressed with the step-by-step solution provided for the problem. It was quite thorough. It seems to be largely free, although there is a modestly priced paid option, and there is both an Android and iOS app that I'll download and test out. It seems a worthy competitor to WolframAlpha that doesn't offer free, step-by-step solutions on its website or apps.

I was made aware of the site thanks to Richard Byrne's tweet:

I used to follow this guy but hadn't been doing so over the past year since I retired from full-time teaching. However, I reconnected yesterday and the reconnection is already paying benefits. I've opened a free account using my Facebook login.

UPDATE: having now downloaded the Android app, I've found that the step-by-step solutions are only available with a one-off payment of $9.99 (US dollars presumably) which is a lot more than WolframAlpha is asking. The iOS app is the same except that it wants $10.99. Consequently, I've uninstalled both the Android and iOS apps and will simply use the desktop version while it still provides the steps for free. The web version is still limited in various ways. For example, the full range of practice questions on various topics is only available via a subscription. 

No comments:

Post a Comment