Friday 8 January 2021

Hand Idioms

I write an article now and then, just to keep my hand in.The Cambridge Dictionary had a useful blog post on January 6th 2021 relating to idioms that involved the word hand. Here are examples of the phrases that were described:

  • Like all parents, I want to know that my child is in good hands.

  • The new director is widely regarded as a safe pair of hands.

  • We’ve got to do something to calm these kids down or we’re going to have a riot on our hands!

  • Anyway, there’s nothing I can do about the matter now. It’s out of my hands.

  • I thought I might try my hand at baking.

  • Bored with journalism, he’s now hoping to turn his hand to politics.

  • Just think of the suffering that animals endure at the hands of humans.

  • We can’t ask Tom to help out. He’s got his hands full setting up the cafe.

  • I mean, I’ll put my hands up. I’m not always the best at helping around the house.

  • Suddenly, everyone wanted to buy their products and they were making money hand over fist.

  • If you played her at tennis, you’d win hands down
I'd thought I'd add a few more to the list, not necessarily idioms but also aphorisms and compound words. Here they are:

  • The family was so poor that all the younger daughter's clothes were hand-me-downs from her older sister.

  • The extra manpower ensured the project was completed on time. It was a classic case of many hands make light work.

  • The two rivals agreed to discard their swords and engage in hand-to-hand combat.

  • In golf, Ben has a handicap of twenty two.

  • All Saul's business dealings were underhand and shady.

  • This burglary is the handiwork of a professional.

  • He's a real handy-andy when it comes to repairs around the house.

  • "Why, you don't look your age at all!" came Gladys's deliberately back-handed compliment (or left-handed compliment).

  • It's in God's hand now, there nothing we can do.

  • Because of his former hubris, Alex blamed the hand of God for his accident.

  • The family had little money and led a hand to mouth existence most of the time.

  • He was caught with his hand in the till so to speak when discovered rifling through the pockets of coats that were hanging near the entrance to the house.

  • Joe Biden is a hands-on type of guy where young girls are concerned.

  • Life had dealt him a seemingly bad hand and so he was always disgruntled.

  • "Look, hand on heart, I don't know anybody called Gemma", said my boyfriend.

  • The nurse's hand-off at the end of her shift was rather long-winded. It seemed as if she didn't want to leave the ward.

  • The handover of power following Trump's electoral defeat has not gone smoothly.

  • "All assignments must be handed in by Wednesday", said the lecturer.

  • It was interesting to hear a first hand account of what had happened from an eyewitness. 

  • Some of the guests drank too much and suddenly things got out of hand.

  • I got the news second hand from my friend who knows somebody who was there.

  • Information received third hand should not be counted on as reliable.

  • "He wouldn't do anything like that. I know him like the back of my hand", said my friend reassuringly.

  • Do you have anything on hand could serve as a leash for our dog?

  • He was very off-hand in his reply to my question and this annoyed me.

  • Can you give me a hand? I can't lift this by myself.

  • If you want to succeed in politics, you'll have to get your hands dirty.

  • The censorship was rather heavy-handed and there was an inevitable backlash.

  • His wife waited on him hand and foot but he was never appreciative.

  • I've washed my hands of the whole, sordid business.

  • You take your life in your hands when you drive with him.

  • If the police don't do something soon, I'm going to take the law into my own hands.

  • The artefact was made by hand, there was no machining applied at all.


Pinterest is a good source of visual material illustrating many of these idioms. Figures 1 and 2 show two examples:


Figure 1



Figure 2

No comments:

Post a Comment