Friday 7 October 2022

Old Webcam Finds New Life

I have my  Raspberry Pi 400 connected to an old Samsung monitor but up until now I haven't had a webcam attached to it. However, I found an old Logitech webcam that I once used with my a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I bought in 2006. Amazingly this expensive and ultimately disappointing machine didn't have a webcam which is why I purchased the Logitech accessory in October of 2007. I bought the laptop in mid-2006 and had been using a UMax webcam prior to this. Here is a short YouTube video that I made at the time announcing my purchase.


After I started using Mac laptops in 2011, there was no need for the Logitech webcam and so it was left in a drawer in my study. However, today I dusted it off and plugged it into my Pi 400. After installing Cheese, I took this 640 x 480 photo:


Well, it does the job with a decidedly retro flair. Who would have thought that I'd be using this old webcam again a full 15 years later! Not that I have much use for it as I don't use Zoom or other such software but at least it's there if I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment