Saturday 4 February 2023

Words for Vegetables in Indonesian

In today's KATLA I was alerted to the fact that kubis is the Indonesian word for "cabbage". See Figure 1.


Figure 1

As can be seen in Figure 1, I started with catur (chess) but with limited success. I knew that there was a "U" in one of four possible positions. My next attempt, bumbu (flavour), fixed the position of the "U" and informed me that there was a "B" in one of the  three possible positions. My third attempt, kubik (cubic), was spectacularly successful and located four letters in their correct positions.

Here is an example of the use of the word kubik:

Persamaan kubik selalu memberikan tiga solusi, meskipun tidak harus berbeda.

A cubic equation always gives three solutions, although they need not be distinct.

However, it's the Indonesian words for vegetables that I want to concentrate on in this post. See Figure 2 shows a list of English-Indonesian words that will serve as our starting point.


Figure 2: source

I've added this chart to my Pinterest board titled Indonesian Vocabulary. 

As today has turned into tomorrow, I'll include my latest KATLA in Figure 3.


Figure 3

I'd not heard of makar before and had to guess it. Google Translate renders its meaning as "treason" but my Indonesian dictionary returns:
Word: makar 
Short Definition: trick, tactics 
English Definition: 
1. trick, tactics 
2. attack, assault 
3. attack against the government  
Examples: 
Para mahasiswa mengadakan gerakan MAKAR terhadap bekas
Presiden Suharto = Students had organized a movement to ATTACK the
former Presiden Suharto

There is a kata benda or noun, namely makaran, that is translated by Google as "plot". 

No comments:

Post a Comment