Saturday 4 July 2009

My new Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

I wasn't expecting to acquire a new handphone any time soon but suddenly I did and with a little encouragement from Desy I took the plunge and so far I've been pleasantly surprised. Initially I was only wanting a phone with WiFi but in addition to this, the phone has 3.5G HSPDA, touch screen, TV-out and GPS. The camera and video capabilities are impressive. Essentially, it offers iPhone performance at a much lower price.

As the name suggests it's music oriented and music sounds wonderful through my earphones which fortunately can be connected with the standard jack unlike my previous Nokia N73. I was surprised to find the MobiPocket Reader doesn't currently support the phone properly but after some searching I came across a product here that does the job so I'm off and reading now. This beginner's guide to the Nokia 5800 has also proved very helpful.

The new phone should prove its worth in Shanghai because I can now connect to the Internet at WiFi hotspots and via HSPDA once I find a provider in that city. I can also tether it perhaps to my laptop if there is some delay in having ADSL connected in my apartment. In short it dramatically improves my options for Internet connectivity while allowing me read ebooks, take good quality photos and videos, listen to music and even watch video clips downloaded from YouTube. I can even make and receive phone calls with it.!

No comments:

Post a Comment