Tuesday 19 October 2021

Chess Puzzles

Recently I was reading, on chess.com I think, how one of the best ways to improve your chess was via puzzle solving. To this end I found a relatively new site, that's free and offers a succession of puzzles to solve and rates your progress along the way. The site is https://chesspuzzle.net:


Figure 1 shows an example of the type of puzzles offered:


Figure 1

In a couple of days I've progressed from a starting level of about 1400 to my current rating of 1806 (on the 19th October 2021).


So far I'm enjoying my steady progress and finding the puzzles challenging but, given sufficient thought, quite solvable. Doubtless the level of difficulty will steadily increase. Meanwhile I continue to play a daily game against the computer on lichess.org with Stockfish set to level 6 of 8 levels:


So far I've not submitted to a rating, although I guess I should at some point. I prefer playing the computer with unlimited time control as I can relax and not feel under pressure as I would with time controls. I need to be more adventurous of course and face real opponents under time pressure. Figure 2 shows a crucial position from the last game that I played against Stockfish.


Figure 2

I had the White pieces and it was my turn to move. I hurriedly captured the pawn on c4 and, after an exchange of rooks, Black played Qa6. It was all over as Black can now penetrate to my 2nd rank and there is no defence against checkmate. If I'd played Qh4 instead and followed up with Qe2, things would have been very different. Here is the game in full:

No comments:

Post a Comment