Monday 8 November 2021

Lichess: Another Win

After several defeats by Stockfish 14+ (set to level 6 2300) on lichess.org, I had a surprisingly quick and easy win today. Here is the game:


Black overextended on the king side with a pawn advance and paid the ultimate price. I invariably advance the queen pawn when playing white and this game was no exception. When I have the black pieces, I usually play some variation of the Sicilian Defence against an opening e4 from white but I'm becoming disenchanted with it. Perhaps I should try the Caro-Kann Defence? Alireza Firouzja has been using it recently in some of his games so it must have some merit. On lichess.org there are a variety of studies and one of them deals with the Caro-Kann defence. Figure 1 shows a screenshot. The study is well-presented and I should investigate more of them.


Figure 1: link

I haven't actively tried for a rating on any of the online chess platforms, preferring to play unrated games as this puts me under less pressure to perform. Maybe I should because it's very rare that I get to play anybody over the board these days. I'm making slow progress on ChessPuzzle.net and am currently rated at 1842 as of Monday, 8th November 2021.


Of course, there's nothing like over-the-board play but it's hard to come by these days.


While I was searching for chess clubs in my local area of Bintaro Sektor IX, I noticed that Utut Adianto, the famous Indonesian grandmaster, has set up a chess training school very near to where I live. Unfortunately however, it's now permanently closed. I was surprised to learn that, on May 9th 2009, Utut Adianto was elected to the People's Representative Council, the lower house of Indonesia's bicameral parliament. He became deputy speaker of the body on 20 March 2018.

Born 16th March 1965
Wikipedia link

No comments:

Post a Comment