Wednesday 3 May 2023

Lost Brisbane

I noticed a site on Facebook called Lost Brisbane and thought I'd make a post about the house at 21 Mayneview Street where I grew up. It's rather special in that all the houses in the street have been replaced by warehouses and office buildings but my old house, at the top of the hill, still survives. See Figure 1.


Figure 1

I crafted what I thought was a well-worded post with my main point being that, while my childhood home was not lost, the neighbourhood had been. The houses and the people who lived in them had gone, replaced by soulless buildings that, though occupied on a 9 to 5 basis, were deserted at night and on weekends.

Well, that post didn't last long. It was quickly deleted with no reason given. Of course, I'd set myself up for rejection yet again. I was reminded of my encounters with the custodians of the OEIS, Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, who could approve or deny a sequence submission on a whim. Once again, with Lost BrisbaneI was handing someone the power to approve or deny. I won't make that mistake a third time hopefully.

The irony is that I have nothing to do with Facebook and only make use of its associated Messenger service. Occasionally, I'll post an Instagram photo to Facebook as well but that's it. What possessed me to contribute to this Facebook site I don't know. Nostalgia I guess. I thought my house on the hill story was an interesting one and one that could be shared. From now on I'll stick to blog posts that I control and that people can read or not as they see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment