Wednesday 10 June 2009

Portable Ubuntu

Today I succeeded in downloading Portable Ubuntu and installing it on my new Toshiba 4GB stick drive that I bought for US$15 yesterday. However, I first had to get rid of the GRUB boot loader from my laptop and that was far from easy. No matter what I did by way of formatting the drive, it always came back asking me whether I wanted to boot to Ubuntu or Windows. In the end it was as simple as typing Bootrec.exe/FixMbr after the command prompt during system recovery. The method is described here.

So now all trace of Ubuntu is gone from my laptop and I've reclaimed the 37GB of space that had previously been alloted to Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04. The same version however, is now back on my stick drive and this is a far happier arrangement. I have the latest version of Ubuntu on my PC (dedicated to Ubuntu only) anyway. Currently I'm downloading the latest updates for Hardy Heron and later I'll download other programs. AbiWord word processor and Gnumeric spreadsheet were there but not Open Office or GIMP. Plenty of time to play around with things.

No comments:

Post a Comment