Saturday 26 December 2020

Indonesian Language

Back in December 2017, a full three years ago now, I took a list of the 300 most commonly used English words with associated contextual sentences and translated them into Indonesian. I completed words from 1 to 100 in a first post, then words 101 to 200 in a second post but only partially completed words 201 to 300. This final post I completed today, Christmas Day 2020. Here are the links:

  • Post containing words from 1 to 100
  • Post containing words from 101 to 200
  • Post containing words from 210 to 300
The site from which I took the words seems to be no longer active. I guess what motivated me was my current reading of James Sneddon's "The Indonesian Language: Its history and role in modern society". The book was published in November of 2003. I've always been interested in the language and learning it but have been rather lazy and disorganised in my learning.

I used Google Translate for the translations of the sentences illustrating the use of the 300 words and set things out like this:

A man and a woman sat down --> 
Seorang pria dan seorang wanita duduk

The indefinite article is of course a very basic word and is thus included in the list of words. As James Sneddon points out early on in his book, this sort of formal written Indonesian is quite different from what is spoken and even what is contained in casual text messages. Whatever grasp of the language that I have is largely academic.

There's other content that I've copied or created. Here are Google Drive links to a: 
Here are some other useful links that I've discovered (these don't require any registration):
Most importantly, I'm currently immersed in the culture and surrounded by native speakers of the language, so there's every opportunity for improvement. Most challenging for me is understanding spoken Indonesian when it's suddenly directed at me. I tend to have a mental block on such occasions. This is simply a habit that I need to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment