Thursday 17 December 2020

Stored Games on Lichess

I only realised today that Lichess saves all the games you play, provided you are registered. This is of course quite useful in analysing what went wrong. Figure 1 shows a position from a game I played last night and ended up losing, even though I thought I could win it or at least draw. Black has just captured, with a pawn, the white bishop on g6 that had previously captured the black bishop with check. It is now move 33 with white to play. 

Figure 1

I played my rook to e2 and lost ignominiously after 33...c7 c1+. The engine is recommending that I play 33 f1 g1 but even my 33. d2 e2 move all is not lost. The position is judged as equal. The critical position was reached in Figure 2, when it's white's turn to move and I played 33. b2 b1 and after 33...c8 c5 I'm finished. The recommended move is 33. b2 a3 and white has at least a draw.

Figure 2

I've embedded the game in this website:


I've been setting the lichess computer to level 6 which is apparently about 2300 level which is certainly strong enough for me. I've been playing at this level for my past few games now whereas previously I'd set it to the level 5. I'd won some games at that level but level 6 is certainly more challenging.

I'm reminded of that how many free resources are available now for improving ones chess prowess and I should be more active in taking advantage of them. Talking of which, I played my first rated game today and won easily. However, I'm sure that I'll meet much stronger players if I continue. Figure 3 shows a screenshot:

Figure 3

If you play 30 rated games, you get an official lichess rating so I should continue and try to get one. Of course, I should try to learn some of the more common opening traps that are about or else I'm bound to fall prey to some of them. I now have 88 games stored on lichess.

No comments:

Post a Comment