Friday 15 March 2024

Calibre Reborn

My USB 3 Card Reader was delivered today and thankfully, after inserting my microSD card, my laptop recognised the storage device and I was able to copy an old backup of my Calibre library from an external hard drive to the new card.

Opening up Calibre on my laptop I was able to redirect it to the new library and so I'm up and running again. I don't know how many ebooks I lost by not backing up more regularly but it's no matter. I had thousands of books and wouldn't have been able to read them all given several lifetimes. It was in essence a vanity project with me collecting ebooks and trying to create a massive e-library that I could brag about.

Not that there's anyone much to brag to. Nonetheless, it's good to have recreated the library even if its not quite in all its former glory. I know also not to trust in SD cards and so I'll make sure that I backup regularly to an external hard drive. As I've said before, it's time to replace my old mechanical hard drive with a newer SSD that doesn't need to be massive in terms of its storage capacity.


Figure 1


Figure 2

My old drive was one terabyte in capacity and the same sized SSD costs around two million rupiah or about two hundred Australian dollars. See Figures 1 and 2. However, it's not urgent as the mechanical hard drive is still perfectly serviceable.

ADDENDUM

Even though some books from my Calbre e-library were lost, they may reside on my Google Play Books website or via the Kindle app on my iPhone, so those locations can be checked as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment