Wednesday 13 March 2024

MIcro SD Cards

Having bought a 128 GB micro SD card, I could not find an adaptor to insert it into, even though I knew I had some laying around somewhere. In the end, I ended five of them online (the smallest number that could be purchased). Unfortunately, the SD card reader on my laptop doesn't recognise the card and two old USB 2 card readers that I found where also of no use. I'll purchase a USB 3 card reader and hope that does the job.

The reason for my purchase is that I want to store my Calibre e-book library on a storage device other than my hard drive. When my laptop crashed after updating Linux Mint, I lost all the data on my hard drive and even though I had a backup on an external hard drive, it was sadly out of date. It was quite a tedious and slow job to back up the library which is why I procrastinated in doing it. 

The SD card, even with the adaptor, is more compact than a thumb drive and can sit less obtrusively in my USB hub that currently hosts a fan and a dongle for my mouse. There are two slots left. My laptop has two USB 3.0 ports, one hosts my TP-LINK WiFi dongle and the other hosts my USB hub. 

It would be nice to have everything working on my laptop but that it's nearly 11 years old now I can't complain. Currently my Elementary OS that I have installed doesn't recognise the internal WiFi card, the webcam or, seemingly, the SD card reader. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the current performance of the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment