Tuesday 15 March 2022

Mouse, Trackpad and Keyboard Freeze in Ubuntu

Life with Ubuntu is never dull and predictable. Last night I discovered that my mouse, trackpad and keyboard on my Mac laptop had all frozen. This had happened a few days earlier and the problem had been resolved with a reboot. However, as I was tired, I simply shut it down and planned to restart it in the morning.

That proved to be overly optimistic. After the morning reboot, the problem persisted. I tried a couple more times. I removed the USB receiver for my Logitech mouse and tried again. Still no change. I searched online but most help involved using the terminal and I had no keyboard. It was looking like a reinstallation would be necessary but, if that were needed, I would not be installing Ubuntu again but another version of Linux.

However, I decided to reboot while pressing the option key which brings up the boot menu. When I did this the mouse, trackpad and keyboard all worked. There was only the Ubuntu on the hard drive to boot from so I chose this and hoped for the best. With the OS loaded, everything worked and life was back to normal.

It was certainly odd that all input options failed at the same time and I felt that I should investigate further to try to get to the bottom of the problem as it is likely to recur. I remembered that I had been initially frustrated that Command+C for copy and Command+V for paste no longer worked. Instead Control+C and Control+V had to be used instead. 

With this problem in mind I installed an app called Kinto that supposedly remapped the keyboard. However, I never got the program to work properly but the icon continued to display on my list of apps. It was only after installing Stacer that I found that Kinto was loading at Startup. I was then able to delete it and I suspect that this was the source of the problem. See Figure 1.


Figure 1

I came across Stacer in a 2017 post titled The 10 Easiest Ways to Keep Ubuntu System Clean that has quite a few good tips including:
  • $ sudo apt-get autoremove (to remove unnecessary packages and dependencies)
  • $ sudo rm -rf ~/.cache/thumbnails/* (the number of thumbnails can build up over time)
  • $ sudo apt-get clean (remove all cache files)

No comments:

Post a Comment