Sunday 27 March 2022

Reviving My Kindle


Read this 2013 review of the device

I'm trying to renew my relationship with my venerable Kindle Paperwhite 6th Generation that I purchased in China back in 2014 or thereabouts. It still works fine but I've been neglecting it. I tend to watch alternative news videos on the Internet and read short articles but my actual digestion of books has slowed considerably over the past six months. I also spend perhaps too much time watching movies and various television series. 

This is an unhappy situation that I am trying to address. This evening I came across a short video by one of my favourite historians, David Irving, in which he was talking about 1956 Hungarian uprising. In researching for a book about this topic, he become aware via CIA files that he had access to, that in its initial days at least it was an anti-Jewish uprising. The book he wrote is titled "Uprising" and I have a copy of it in my Calibre library. I used my Kindle email address to mail it to myself so it was in the Amazon Cloud and then downloaded it to my Kindle. It is now ready for reading.

I wasn't sure whether David Irving was still alive but he is, now aged 84. I'm interested in the Hungarian Uprising because it was the first time that I was made aware of world events. I was aged seven in 1956 and I remember the nuns at the school I attended being very grim-faced about what was happening. Like most historical events, it has been simplified to the point where I seven-year old could understand it. The brave people of Hungary rose up against their Russian Communist oppressors but were ruthlessly subdued. That's it.

As David Irving explains however, 1945 marked the return of the Jews who had fled Hungary during the war and they were put into positions of power in the newly established Hungarian government, especially in the secret police. This marked the beginning of a period of unprecedented suffering for the Hungarian people. Anyway I'm looking forward to reading his book and I must aim to read at least one book a month. I've been making my way slowly through Robert Kennedy's "The Real Anthony Fauci" on my iPhone but I need to set aside regular sessions for reading to make reasonable progress.

I've now have Robert Kennedy's book on my Kindle so I'll continue reading it from there. The problem with reading on my iPad is that it's now quite old (bought in 2015) and the battery is quite weak. My iPhone is new and the battery is still strong but continuing to read on this device will unnecessarily drain the battery, The strength of the Kindle is that one can read for hours on end without recharging and my Kindle battery remains quite strong even after eight years. 

So this can be considered my birthday resolution: READ MORE BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment