Thursday 3 March 2022

The Experiment Is Over

It was exciting while it lasted but after a few days, the flaws began to outweigh the attractions. I'm taking about the installation of Chrome OS Flex to replace the Mac OS on my 2013 Mac Book Pro. In summary, the defects of the installation included:

  • a frustrating time lag between opening the lid of my laptop and seeing an active screen: I never timed this precisely but it started to get under my skin because I would stare at a blank screen for what seemed like a minute or more and no amount of key presses would make a difference.

  • unresponsiveness of the track pad: having long abandoned a mouse when using my laptop, it was frustrating to have to rely on a mouse again but it was necessary as the pointer would become unresponsive every few seconds. This rendered it virtually unusable. Worse still, once I connected the laptop to an external monitor, even the mouse became "twitchy".

  • total lack of support for Linux: even though I'd apparently installed Linux, there was no way to open to get a functioning terminal window. I was always confronted with an error message and so no installation of Linux apps was possible.

So Chrome OS Flex is gone, replaced by Ubuntu 20.04. I've had long experience with this operating system and there is widespread community support for it. Problems have arisen of course but all of the previously mentioned problems are gone. What remain are a non-functioning webcam and an apparent incompatibility between Calibre and the latest version of Ubuntu. I'll address these in the coming days.

The problem with Flex is that it was just too "beta". I'm sure once this OS evolves, it may well be a viable alternative to Ubuntu but for now that's not the case. As mentioned in an earlier post, I've installed Ubuntu on my granddaughter's HP Pavilion x360 as well. 

While the HP laptop desperately needed a replacement for the sluggish and unresponsive Windows OS, the Mac Book was still operating well enough under Mojave. I hadn't installed Catalina because it didn't support 32-bit applications and I wanted my astrolog.exe to continue running under Wine. I thought a lighter weight operating system like Chrome OS Flex would reinvigorate my ageing Mac which I guess it did if the problems created were ignored.

Right now, with Ubuntu running, the fan on my laptop is whirring even though I only have the Chrome browser open with 13 tabs. Figure 1 shows a screenshot of the system monitor.


Figure 1

I'm thinking that things are not all that different, performance-wise, from when I had the Mac OS installed. Anyway for now I'm happy to have far fewer problems than I had with Flex.

I've now installed WhatsApp and connected that app to my iPhone so that's a positive. There is no way that this could have happened on Flex, in its current state. Similarly my Express VPN is now up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment