Saturday 23 April 2022

Blogger to WordPress

Copied from my blog on voodooguru.net using the same title.

I’ve really only used Blogger as my blogging platform since I began blogging in 2006. I did have a brief flirtation with WordPress when creating a Staying Healthy on wordpress.com but I was never comfortable with it and ended up continuing it on Blogger. As I wrote at the time:

I’ve had enough of this platform and its frustrations. I’m moving to Blogger where all my other blogs are anyway. The new address is https://voodooguru1949.blogspot.com/ with the same title for the blog, namely Staying Healthy. I’ll eventually link back to the previous posts on wordpress from my new blog or maybe I can export them. We’ll see.

WordPress was unfamiliar to me at the time and I had gotten so used to Blogger that I couldn’t be bothered coming to terms with the new interface. At that time (August 28th 2020), it hadn’t occurred to me that I could have exported the WordPress blog to Blogger. I’m now realising how relatively easy it is to export and import entire blogs from one platform to another, and to back up entire blogs, using the xml file format.

On this site, there is a simple and straightforward guide on how to move an entire blog from Blogger to WordPress. I’m not sure that I really want to do that but it’s good to know that it’s possible. I’m really still coming to terms with this new WordPress blog and what I want to do with it. I’m happy that I’ve created categories in this blog that correspond to my blogs on Blogger. These categories are:

  • Mathematical Meanderings
  • Mystical Meanderings
  • Astrological Meanderings
  • Pedagogical Posturing
  • Alternative Media
  • Staying Healthy

At this point, I’m inclining to simply continuing my former blogs on the single WordPress blog, differentiating them by the use of the above categories. As I described in my previous blog post, I can export individual WordPress posts to my various blogs on Blogger (should I choose to do so). It’s good to know that I can mothball all these blogs by backing them up in xml file format and saving them on Google Drive and a local computer.

The quality of my posts on Blogger have been variable over the years. Most have been mediocre, a few downright dumb and few of high quality (in my opinion). It would be interesting to revisit my earlier blogs and evaluate them in terms of the current world situation. My blogs have never been about garnering readership. I enjoy writing and expressing my thoughts “on paper”. My electronic blogging may have started in 2006 but I was committing my thoughts to paper long before this. Perhaps this history could be the material for a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment