Monday 18 April 2022

Why Is It So? Vagaries of the Chromium Browser.

If anyone needed convincing that the Chromium browser ain't the Chrome browser, then go no further this URL: http://tinyurl.com/yd5kh5at. It refuses to open in Chromium running on my Raspberry Pi 400 but it will open in Firefox running on the same machine. It will open again quite happily in the Chrome browser running under Linux Mint on my 2013 MacBook Pro.

Why is it so? I simply don't know. I've already mentioned that Chromium also has serious issues accessing Blogger, a Google product. Take my Mathematical blog, Mathematical Meanderings, for example at http:\\voodooguru23.blogspot.com. Trying to open this in Chromium gives the dreaded message shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1

Again, why is it so? By the way, this expression was burnt into my brain thanks to the television series of the same name that I used to watch as a teenager back in the 60's. Professor Julius Sumner Miller was the presenter of this show (see Figure 2). To quote from Wikipedia:

Why Is It So? is an educational science series produced in Australia by ABC Television from 1963 to 1986. The series was hosted by American scientist Julius Sumner Miller, who demonstrated experiments in the world of physics. The series was also screened in the United States, Canada, New Zealand and in Europe.

Figure 2

I'm sure the good professor would have come up with an explanation but, for now, I don't have one. As an aside, but of pedagogical import, he is quoted as saying during an interview in the 1940's that:

We are approaching a darkness in the land. Boys and girls are emerging from every level of school with certificates and degrees, but they can't read, write or calculate. We don't have academic honesty or intellectual rigor. Schools have abandoned integrity and rigor.

I'm sure he would have been appalled at the situation in the 2020's. Meanwhile, the vagaries of the Chromium browser continue to disturb me. Then again, I've just noticed that I cannot open my mathematical blog using Firefox on the Raspberry Pi. Maybe the vagaries lie with the OS. I'll continue to investigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment