Tuesday 12 April 2022

Raspberry Pi: Web Browser Woes

The Chromium browser is fast and responsive on the Raspberry Pi. However, it cannot deal with my Google identity which is odd considering that it the base on which the Chrome browser is built. I have subscribed to YouTube Premium and, while I can log into YouTube and YouTube Music, the advertisements still play and my identity is quickly forgotten as I navigate about. Gmail can be accessed briefly until it drops out and I'm asked to confirm my identity yet again.

Other websites are accessed without difficulty but the browser seems incapable of handling my Google credentials. I was so frustrated that I downloaded an alternative browser called Vivaldi. However, I quickly uninstalled it because it was painfully slow in accessing websites or simply timed out. Attempts to install Chrome failed and that's probably a good thing as this browser is resource intensive and would probably end up performing like Vivaldi given that I only have 4GB of RAM. It looks like I'm stuck with the Chromium browser.

There's surprisingly little help online regarding my problem but I've only just begun looking so something may show up ... and just after writing this something did show up! Figure 1 shows the crucial setting.

Figure 1

Under "Other Google services", there is the toggle "Allow Chromium sign-in" with the comment that "By turning this off, you can sign into Google sites like Gmail without signing into Chromium". The toggle is turned OFF now but it was ON by default and that was the source of all my troubles. Chromium is now behaving a Chrome does allowing me to access Gmail, YouTube, YouTube Music etc. without any problems. It was a huge relief to overcome this nagging problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment